Holiday Books
I managed to finish off 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' by Winifred Watson...that was a lovely book written in the 1930's and very amusing and heartwarming in a 1930's way. I only found it after I heard it read as a Book at Bedtime abut 18 months ago.
I followed Miss P. with a book I borrowed from Brigitte and I thoroughly enjoyed it! 'Elegance' by Kathleen Tessaro - fab holiday read..not too taxing but with little bits of dressing advice for women (and a bit of a story running through it)!! :)
Next was 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. I wasn't sure if this book was for me when I borrowed it, but it was so fast moving and absorbing I found it hard to put down and even though it was 2" thick I managed to polish it off in a day!!
'Watching the English - the unwritten rules of English behaviour' by Kate Fox took a little longer to digest as it was a bit of pop-anthropology and quite amusing. Peter had to put up with me reading him extracts which tickled me...
Finally, 'The Sunday Philosophy Club' - Alexander Macall Smith. Hmmm...I hadn't read any of his stuff before, my mum had enjoyed 'The No 1 Lady Detective Agency' series so I thought I'd give it a go...I will be passing this on to my mum...not really my cup of tea, but I did finish it!
I have also started Bill Bryson's 'A short History of almost everything'...but I haven't got too far...it requires a bit more concentration than I could muster in the airport!

1 comment:
Oooh - I just bought 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' at lunchtime today! It was on the recommended shelf at Waterstones and apart from the story sounding good I've had another book from the same publisher Persephone and they seem to have a quirky list of books. Looking forward to it even more now. :)
Post a Comment